MBBS in Philippines
Philippines is also known as Republic of Philippines is an archipelagic island of Southeast Asia located in the Pacific Ocean. It is known for its rich biodiversity and abundance in natural resources. It is considered to be twelfth populated country in the world. The literacy rate of the country is approximately 93%. The country is home to people from different ethnicity and cultural background. Manila is the capital of the country and Quezon City is the most populous city.
The country consists of 7,107 islands and is located on the western coast of Pacific Ring of fire. Its coastline is considered as the fifth largest coastline in the world. This island is bordered by Philippine Sea, South China Sea and Celebes Sea. Most of the mountains are volcanic in nature. Owing to its volcanic activity, it has a rich deposit of minerals and is the second largest producer of geothermal energy.
Studying medicine abroad is a fascinating idea, especially among Indian students. Due to rich teacher faculty and higher level of intense practice sessions, MBBS courses in Philippines are getting significant popularity among aspiring medical students.
High quality education, safe and conducive environment and affordable fee structure and other associated expenses are one of the primary reasons for international students to opt for higher education in the country. Apart from these, with a degree of the educational institutes in this country, you can explore job opportunities in different countries in the world. Medium of instruction for these courses is only English. Academic calendar begins in June and extends till March. A year comprises of two semesters, one from June to October and the other from November to March.
Doctor of Medicine is awarded to students after completing four years degree program. This is equivalent to that of MBBS degree. In the first year, the basics of medical sciences are taught. From the second year onwards to third year, these courses focus on specialized areas. Fourth year onwards includes clinical rotation in different departments. This degree deals with medical theories, technologies, practices and different approaches for problem-solving. Post this, it is necessary to take up a licensure examination in the country itself. For this, students have to go through one year internship program. Degree awarded by different universities is recognized by World Health Organization. Even the Medical Council of India recognizes the degree awarded by these institutes and permits the aspirants for the screening test in India.
Steps of enrollment
Duration of Medical Course
The total duration of this MBBS course is 5 and half years for students who have been educated till class 12 with a background in science. The first 16 months focuses on building the foundation for a strong medical education and is called the Bachelor of Science program. The next four years is the core medicine and clinical rotation. Towards the end of the program, students will also undergo clinical rotations, in which they will be attached to selected hospital departments and treat patients under the guidance and supervision of an experienced and presently practicing doctor.
Students have to appear for NMAT test to seek admission to this course in this medical school. You have to complete your secondary and senior secondary examination from a recognized board to apply for the course. Various documents need to be submitted to the University for seeking admission to this course. The mark sheet of secondary and senior secondary examination, the tourist visa that can be converted to student visa also needs to be submitted. You have to seek character certificate from the local police and no-objection certification from parents and submit the same. Notarize and get these documents attested by the Embassy officials at your native country and then submit the same.
MD Degree Recognition
The Commission on Higher Education Philippines(CHED), gives approval for both public and private higher education institutions in the country. Prospective students are strongly advised not to get admission in any institution which is not recognized by CHED. For international recognition, students should check whether institution in recognized by World Health Organization. All medical schools in Philippines, which are recognized by WHO has approval from CHED.
Students from India, who wants to pursue MBBS degree abroad in Philippines should check whether the overseas institution is recognized by Medical Council of India(MCI). After 2002, all MBBS students after being educated in WHO Listed medical colleges abroad are eligible to give screening test.
Reference: Section 4 of MCI Screening Test Regulations 2002, dated 13 February 2002.
Top Medical Colleges in Philippines
- University of Perpetual Help
- AMA College of Medicine
- Angeles University Foundation
- Bicol Christian College
- Emilio Aguinaldo College. School of Medicine
- Cagayan State University
- Central Philippine University College of Medicine
- De La Salle Health Sciences Institute
- Far Eastern University – Dr Nicanor Reyes Foundation Institute of Medicine
- Lyceum Northwestern College. Dr Francisco Q. Duque Foundation
- Mindanao State University – College of Medicine
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- San Beda College
- Southwestern University
- University of Northern Philippines – College of Health Sciences
- University of Santo Tomas
- University of St. La Salle
- University of the City of Manila, College of Medicine
- The first and the most important step is to fill the application form available at the office
- On the receiving of your form details to study MBBS in Philippines, the entire form details are analyzed.
- If the details given by you are absolutely perfect, we submit your application to the admission committee for international students of the university.
- On the submission of the application, university will give us the instruction as to accept the given application or reject it.
- If the concerned university instructs to proceed with the admission of the student, promptly we intimate you.
- As soon as the LOA is received, we send a copy to the registered student.
- Students need to deposit the tuition fee in the university account directly.
- Next is, student need to apply for the visa at the nearest embassy or can say consulate of the Philippines in your country.
- When the visa is issued, you notify us of the student’s date of journey to study MBBS in Philippines.
- Student travels to Philippines before some days of the new term.
- On the next day of arrival, the student pays the tuition fee to the international student department and joins the course of MBBS.